Book directly through Princess Cruises or Holland America, or book your tour directly with The Seventh Generation (min 4 people)
Experience a fascinating journey through New Zealand’s natural and cultural history, on a one-of-a-kind tour, guided by a Seventh Generation local.
Visit a unique grouping of spectacular sites that tell the complete story of New Zealand’s settlement. Listen to stories that foster a sense of meaning and connection to Akaroa’s natural beauty and inspire hope for the future. Travel for good.
“We came to Akaroa on the Majestic Princess, who offered this tour. It was possibly the best tour we have ever had anywhere. Marie Haley, our guide and driver, is intelligent, an excellent communicator, extremely well informed and, as a seventh generation descendent of the first French settlers, part of the town’s history herself. She is also deeply involved in an amazing conservation movement and is able to explain it with an enthusiastic sense of commitment that is infectious. She took us to places of outstanding natural beauty and even introduced our group to Hugh Wilson, a famous botanist and conservationist. We highly recommend this tour.” Garry Warne
- Experience: The unique beauty of Banks Peninsula and Akaroa, guided by a local who will take you to the remote and breathtaking places that other tours do not go.
- Connect: Know where you really are when you visit Akaroa. Be guided by a Seventh Generation local who knows the deep stories and can give you the experience of a friend visiting a local.
- Breathe: Visit some of the most remote and quiet places on earth only minutes from the crowds on the ship. You will feel the energy of nature, the peace of quiet, hope for the future.
- Be inspired: Learn of the amazing people protecting the beauty of nature and wildlife directly from a conservation ecologist with a deep understanding of what was lost, what needs to be protected and has a clear vision of the future.
- Understand: Allow the deep and remarkable stories of the settlement of New Zealand to captivate you, creating a deep sense of place and significance.
- Love: Fall in love with the real Akaroa on this on-of-a-kind genuine tour from a genuine local with a passion for storytelling, a love of place and hope for the future.
“A terrific experience with Marie, a descendant of the first French settler, historian of local Maori and European conflict and ecologist. A beautiful small group tour with a person who has a passion and understanding of what visitors want to experience.
Her inclusion of morning tea at a reflective remote mountain top location overlooking Akaroa Harbour is icing on the cake. A definite must.”
“We booked this half day tour on spec and didn’t really know what to expect. Marie showed us many interesting places and told us so much about life on the Banks Peninsula from the early days of European settlement to the present day that we now feel that we understand this area of New Zealand probably better than any other that we visited during our holiday. She was a great host and story teller as well as a strong advocate of conservation. We would recommend her tours to anyone who has the slightest interest in South Island history, its flora and fauna, the environment and its peoples.”
“Marie is a local historian and passionate ecologist who is proud to share her family links with visitors to the beautiful little town of Akoroa. She weaves stories and local Maori history into the three hour guided tour as well as taking you to see stunning landscapes and forest that is regenerating. I highly recommend this tour. It is fast becoming one of the highlights from our trip to NZ.”